Monday, March 9, 2015

A brief programming note

I will get caught up this week on historical updates and so forth.  However, over the past few days I have been perusing the excellent new history of the Tu-128 "Fiddler" by Alan Dawes, Sergey Burdin and Nikolai Popov.  There is a lot of information in it, so I am currently going through my copy with a fine-toothed comb.  So far, this is the best book that I have read on Soviet-era air defense.

The Tu-128 was, broadly speaking, the Soviet equivalent of the F-101B in terms of its role, missions, and basic capabilities.  It is very interesting to read about Soviet design approaches to the same sets of problems faced by McDonnell engineers when tailoring the Voodoo to the interceptor mission.  I am planning to write a detailed review of the book for Amazon once I have finished it, and will post an in-depth comparison of the two aircraft here as a "Something Extra" entry.

Thanks for joining me in this dusty little corner of cyberspace.  Tell your friends and spread the word!

http://www.amazon.com/Tupolev-Tu-128-Fiddler-Alan-Dawes/dp/1781554048



No comments:

Post a Comment