Tuesday, July 22, 2014

45 years: My thoughts on Apollo 11

I was three years old, and I remember. 

One thousand years from now, almost everything gripping the headlines or that people are beating each other up over are going to be a tiny footnote, at most, and the rest deservedly forgotten. But this will stand for all time as a signature moment for humanity.

I remain ashamed that we have turned our back on that noble quest of human space exploration. Unmanned probes are fine, but in that thousand year volume it will be the soul of a nation, founded upon and upholding the most noble aspirations of humanity, that will be remembered. What will that future chapter say about our human qualities in the early 21st Century?

My hope is that book will be written by a human author living on a planet orbiting Alpha Centauri or from some other speck of celestial dust with an endless, remote sky, contemplated by human eyes connected to a human soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment